We are at Dubino, at the beginning of the Valtellina, about 300 above sea level, at the base of Mount S.Giuliano. Here the climate is mild all the year: people grow vineyards, olive trees and citrus trees.
Monastero is the ideal starting point for many excursion in the surroundings: Walter Bonatti's path, the Tracciolino path and track, the Valtellina track, the Pian di Spagna Natural park, the Valchiavenna track, the Guanelliana's walking path.
Dubino is strategic to reach the main tourist resorts nearby: S.Moritz, Madesimo, Chiavenna, Lake Como, Bellagio, Lugano, Morbegno, Codera's valley, Mello's valley, Sondrio, Bormio, Livigno, Aprica.
The B&B Monastero is at Dubino (So), in Lombardy, Italy
top of lake Como,
only 48 km from St. Moritz,
59 km from Lugano,
67 km from Como,
86 km from Orio Al Serio Bergamo's airport,
100 km from Milan and 120 km from Malpensa airport.
The origins of the hamlet of Monastero are surrounded by the mistery: until the XII century, this hamlet was called Marzalenico, then Monastero from a nuns' monastery or a secondary location of the Umiliati's friars in Sorico.
These places were inhabited since before the Romans, Romans who founded the town of Olonium at the nearby estuary of the river Adda, the place name "Dubino" was present during the Langobardic rule.
For its position well above the Adda marshlands and his mild climate, Monastero was the most beautiful of the many Dubino's hamlets, extending from the Valtellina to the Pian di Spagna and the Valchiavenna.
In a written act (1103) and in another one (1148), it is mentioned a church in Dubino (s.Peter) and chapels dedicated to S. Benedict: it seems the the original first monastery was connected with the Milan archibishop, not from monks of Cluny or Cirstercian.
In 1217, there is a mention of a "Marzlenego's S. Mary" church with some local churchmen devoted to Mary, then substituted by some nuns (in the records of the visit in Valtellina by Como's Bishop Niguarda in 1589, it is mentioned a church dedicated to S. Mary Elizabeth: without a resident parish, the one of Dubino celebrated mass in exchange of money and goods).
This church had been built by the friars of S. Maria di Crescenzago near Milan, whose church owned many lands here (it was sold to S. Lazurus hospital in Como in 1256) and in a document of the friars is mentioned a "Marzelenico' monastery".
This church would remain until the XVII century, then it was substituted by the current one dedicated to the Immacolate, whose building is dated 1698 and was inserted into the monastery walls, to remember the nuns and friars who lived there.
Inside, there is a central painting with the Immaculate Virgin killing the dragon, two lateral altars and a wonderful baptismal wood-inlaid font, that may bee seen at mass times.